About Pet Food Fraud
The highly processed diets we feed our dogs and cats are responsible for an epidemic of pet illnesses, costing pet owners billions in endless trips to the vet and pets their health, happiness and lives. It is nothing less than a global pet food fraud, with ‘junk pet food’ manufacturers to blame.
Pet Food Fraud is a multi-billion dollar business
Dr. Tom Lonsdale, has long been a vocal critic of the commercial pet food industry and its fraudulent practices, which he claims is a multi-billion dollar business.
Pet Food Fraud
Dr Tom Lonsdale's latest book, Multi-Billion-Dollar Pet Food Fraud Hiding in Plain Sight details the lengths that pet food manufacturers (and the vets in their pocket) will go to to perpetuate the myth that canned and kibbled food isn't detrimental to your pets' health.
Big 3 Pet Food Manufacturers Mars, Nestlé Purina and Colgate-Palmolive "Invest in Universities to Boost Research and Education on Pet Nutrition"
- Mars Inc has established the WALTHAM Centre for Pet Nutrition. The centre conducts research on pet nutrition and health and provides educational and training opportunities for veterinary students and researchers.
- Nestlé Purina has a long-standing relationship with the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine. The company has provided funding for research and educational programs, as well as internships and externships for veterinary students.
- Colgate-Palmolive (Hill’s Pet Nutrition) has a strong relationship with the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. The company provides funding for research and educational programs, as well as internships and externships for veterinary students. It also has a Hill’s Pet Nutrition Pet Nutrition Center on campus.
- Mars Inc has a partnership with the University of Guelph in Canada to support research and education in pet nutrition and health. The company provides funding for research projects and graduate student scholarships, as well as internships for veterinary students.
- Nestlé Purina has a partnership with the University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine. The company provides funding for research and educational programs, as well as internships and externships for veterinary students.
Please note that this is by no means an exhaustive list, and the Big 3 Pet Food manufacturers have partnerships with many other universities and research institutions around the world.
For Freedom of Information enquiries into UK veterinary school dealings with the junk pet food makers go to: https://ukrmb.co.uk/showcontent.toy?contentnid=162360
See Australian Freedom of Information investigations here: http://www.rawmeatybones.com/foi.php
For USA Freedom of Information revelations see Professor Sandra Scarr’s blog post: http://rmb4healthypets.blogspot.com/2010/06/pet-nutrition-as-taught-by-hills-pet.html
Pedigree, Cesar, Chappi, Frolic, Kitekat, Pal, Nutro, Greenies, James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Sheba, Whiskas.
Bakers, Beneful, Beta, Bonio, Felix, Friskies, Just Right, ProPlan, Purina One, Purina Veterinary Diets, Winalot.
Hills Science Plan, Hills Prescription Diets.
The Raw meaty bones Archive:
Dr Tom Lonsdale’s archival website, rawmeatybones.com, contains three decades of research, articles, information, research, case studies and happy pet owner testimonials.
Dr Lonsdale's YouTube Channel:
For valuable insights on topics ranging from pet food fraud and industry bad practices, to practical tips for improving your pet’s overall health using a raw meaty bones diet, follow Dr Lonsdale’s YouTube Channel.